Dhirde, a pancake made of gram flour/besan, is a traditional Maharashtrian dish and people from all ages & classes love it due to its amazing taste.
Although the Dhirde pancakes are popular in this region, you’d not find them on the menus of restaurants. Well, the reason behind this ignorance is quite simple and straight forward. It is not one of those dishes that you can make every day.
The best way to enjoy this dish is by preparing it once in a month or so.
When you’re making it at home, you can also implement your own creativity in this recipe. For instance, you can simply replace gram flour with different flours or combination of flours. This way, you can feed more nutrients to your family without any complaints.
You should serve Dhirde during the morning or evening snack time. The kids will just love it.
As far as condiments are concerned, it can be served with plain yogurt/dahi, thecha, tomato sauce, spicy mayo or pudina chutney. All these combinations complement each other really well.
Alright, let’s get started –
Total Time – 20 mins
Serves – 2-3 people
- Besan/Gram Flour – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Green chilli – 1, sliced
- Asafoetida – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
1. Keep a frying pan on flame and heat some oil in it.
2. In a bowl, add gram flour and water to make the batter.
3. If the batter is ready, add green chillies, asafoetida, red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt in it.
4. Mix the entire mixture well.
5. Pour some batter in hot pan with the help of ladle.
6. Cook both sides of pancake until you get the crisp brown color.
7. Follow the same procedure for next pancakes.
8. Serve Dhirde with your favorite chutney or tomato sauce.