Nowadays, Philips’ Airfryer devices have been creating a lot of buzz in India. And recently, I have also seen our own MasterChef Sanjeev Kapoor promoting this kitchen gadget on some of his cooking shows, which is where it caught my attention.
I never thought that baking and frying can be done so easily without much supervision. When you see revolutionary products like these in the market, you get the sense that our future is going to be quite awesome.
Although most of the Airfryer variants are somewhat bulky in nature, I’m sure that we will not have to worry about such kitchen tools in years to come.
Remember the computers of 80’s & 90’s? They are disappeared now!
As the awareness of eating healthy food increases in our country, people will surely start caring more about the hygiene factor in their daily meals. And then, we will probably have more improved products for our traditional delicacies.
Since Airfryer is relatively a new concept, many of you might want to learn about its vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian recipes. Hence, I thought I should write a dedicated post of Airfryer recipes for Indian kitchen.
Here’s how to make Indian recipes in Philips Airfryer –
I have divided these recipes into three parts i.e. Baking Recipes, Veg Frying Recipes and Non-Veg Frying Recipes for your convenience. Please check them accordingly.
Note – Don’t forget to grease the food items and cooking grill before preheating the machine.
1. Oreo Biscuit Cake
- Grind 10-12 biscuits in your regular mixer to a fine consistency.
- Take it out in a bowl and add the milk (1 cup), baking soda (1/2 teaspoon), baking powder (1 teaspoon) and slivered almonds (1 tablespoon) in it.
- Mix it well and make sure there are no lumps in it.
- Grease the baking pan with oil and pour your batter into it. Set it properly.
- Preheat the system to 200°C for 3 minutes and place your pan in it for 8 minutes.
Tip: You can also sprinkle some dry-fruits on top of the batter. It brings nice roasted flavor to the Oreo cake.
- Get the gram flour (1/2 cup), semolina (1 cup) and all-purpose flour (Maida – 1 cup) in a bowl. Mix them.
- Now, add the ghee (1 tablespoon), powdered sugar (1 cup), vanilla essence (1 teaspoon) in the same bowl.
- Mix everything nicely and prepare the dough. Set it aside for half an hour.
- With this dough, make small Nankhatai-shaped cookies and place sliced pistachios on them.
- Preheat the airfryer to 180°C for 3 minutes and bake the Nankhatais for 10-12 minutes or until crisp brown.
For cookies, you may follow the same steps with few variations.
For stuffing mix:
- Boil 2 potatoes and a half cup of green peas in water. Mash the potatoes, when done.
- Put the mashed potatoes and peas in a bowl. In this, add the garam masala powder (2 teaspoons), ginger-garlic paste (1 teaspoon), red chili powder (1 teaspoon), turmeric powder (1 teaspoon) and salt. Mix well together.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a kadai on medium flame. Add cumin seeds (1/2 teaspoon) in it and wait till they splutter.
- When you get the nice aroma, add the prepared mixture to it.
- Stir-fry it for a couple of minutes so that the spices get cooked. Keep it aside in a bowl.
Note – You may also use Poha (flattened rice) instead of potatoes.
- Meanwhile, get the all purpose flour (Maida – 2 cups), carom seeds (Ajwain – 1 teaspoon), melted ghee (1-2 teaspoon) and some water in another bowl. Knead it into a dough.
- Cover the dough for half an hour.
- When the dough rises in size, make small ‘Puris/Rotis’ out of it, and cut them into the half.
- With the help of fingers, prepare samosa pockets as per your need.
- Stuff the mixture inside samosa pockets and close the sides with water.
- Brush oil on the outer covering of samosas.
- Preheat the system to 180°C for 5 minutes and place the samosa pieces in the tray.
- Let it cook for 18-20 minutes at the same temperature until you get the desired color.
Note – While making this dish for kids, you may use avoid some hot spices. Find more kids’ snack ideas here.
4. Potato Wedges/French Fries
- Marinate potato wedges with salt, turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chili powder (2 teaspoons), cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon) & dry mango powder (1/2 teaspoon). Keep them aside for half an hour.
- Preheat the Airfryer to 180°C for 3 minutes.
- Place the potato wedges in frying pan and brush them with a little bit of oil.
- Cook them for 15 minutes at the same temperature and shake them in between.
Note – The french fries recipe is pretty much similar to the recipe mentioned above. Skip the spices except for turmeric powder while making french fries.
5. Cheese Balls
- In a mixing bowl, get the boiled & mashed potatoes (2 nos.), turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chili powder (1 teaspoon), black pepper powder (1/2 teaspoon), cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon), breadcrumbs (half cup) and salt.
- Mix everything together.
- Prepare concave patties with the mixture and place a cheese cube inside the hollow space. Close the patty and make perfect round-shaped balls. Dust them with cornflour.
- Preheat the unit at 200°C for five minutes and put the greased cheese balls in it for 10 more minutes.
6. Veg. Fritters/Pakoda
- Make your thick pakoda batter using gram flour (half cup), salt, turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chili powder (1 teaspoon) and cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon).
- Now, put your favorite veggies or simply onion juliennes in it. Mix well.
- Place the fritters on butter paper and gently brush them with oil.
- Preheat the Airfryer to 200°C for 3 minutes and cook them for about 10 minutes.
- Get Chakli mix in a bowl, and add some salt, water, and oil in it.
- Knead it into a dough and prepare Chaklis with the Chakli maker.
- Place them on butter paper and brush them with oil.
- Preheat the system on 180°C for 5 minutes and cook them for 12 minutes or until you get the desired crispiness.
Note – Murukkus can be prepared in this fashion, so follow the same instructions. Other than these two items, you can also make air-fried Shev, Shakkarpare & Karanji/Gujiya for healthy Diwali faral.
8. Stuffed Okra/Bharwan Bhindi
- In a mixing bowl, add the gram flour (3-4 tablespoon), chopped onions (1 tablespoon), freshly grated coconut (2 tablespoon), garam masala powder (1 teaspoon), turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chilli powder (1/2 teaspoon), dry mango powder (1/2 teaspoon), cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon) & salt.
- Mix these ingredients and prepare thick masala for stuffing.
- Get the deseeded bhindis and stuff this masala into them. Brush some oil on them.
- Cook the bharwan bhindis in preheated Airfryer for 12 minutes.
Likewise, you should be able to make more stuffed vegetable recipes like Bharwan Shimla Mirchi, Bharwan Bhavnagri Mirchi, and Bharwan tomatoes etc. Just prepare the stuffing as per your liking.
9. Veg. Tawa Fry/Tawa Sabzi
- Slit the okra (2-3 nos.), shallots (2 nos.), cherry tomatoes (4.5 nos.), peeled baby potatoes (2-3 nos.), brinjals (2-3 nos.) into halves by keeping their one side attached.
- Now, get the garam masala powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chili powder (1 teaspoon), turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), dry mango powder (1/2 teaspoon), black pepper powder (1/2 teaspoon) and salt in a bowl. Mix them well.
- Use this masala mixture to stuff & coat the veggies.
- Preheat the Airfryer to 200°C for 3 minutes and put all veggies in the fryer basket. Cook them for 10 minutes.
You will need to check the veggies in the middle of this process, as the cooking time differs for each vegetable.
10. French Toast
- Prepare a thick batter with the help of besan (4 tablespoons), chopped onions (3-4 tablespoon), chopped green chilies (2 teaspoons), turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chili powder (1/2 teaspoon), asafoetida (1/2 teaspoon) and salt.
- Apply the batter on your slices of bread with spoon or fork and put them on a butter paper or Aluminum foil.
- Preheat the fryer to 200°C for 3 minutes. Place the slices of bread in the basket and brush them with oil. Cook them at 180°C for 3-4 minutes.
11. Chicken Tandoori/Grilled Chicken
- For marination, get the hung curd (half cup), turmeric powder (1 teaspoon), red chili powder (1 teaspoon), chicken masala powder (1 teaspoon) and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix it well and make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Make gashes on the chicken pieces (2-3 nos.) and coat the marinade on them. Refrigerate them for 5-6 hours.
- On room temperature, grease the chicken pieces with some melted ghee or oil.
- Preheat the Airfryer to 200°C for 5 minutes and place them gently in the basket. Fry the chicken for 15 minutes at 180°C, and don’t forget to move them in between.
Note – Tangdi Kebabs, Chicken Tikka Kebabs, and Mutton Seekh Kebab can also be fried in the same manner as I’ve mentioned in above recipe.
12. Prawns Cutlet
- In a mixing bowl, get the minced prawns (1/2 cup), breadcrumbs (1/2 cup), finely chopped onions (2-3 tablespoon), ginger-garlic paste (1 teaspoon), turmeric powder (1/2 teaspoon), red chilli powder (1/2 teaspoon), cumin powder (1/2 teaspoon), black pepper powder (1/2 teaspoon), dry mango powder (1/2 teaspoon) and salt.
- Mix these ingredients together and make small cutlets out of it. Dust them with maida or any other flour of your choice.
- Preheat the Airfryer to 200°C for 3 minutes and cook the cutlets at 180°C for 5-6 minutes.
Tip: Add some chopped dry fruits to the mixture if you like nutty texture in your prawns’ cutlets.
Philips team has done a great job by introducing this Airfryer in India. It certainly is a premium product, but it can reduce your oil intake by a considerable level. So, I don’t think there is any harm in shelling out a few bucks for your health.
I have also compared Philips Airfryer with Kenstar’s new airfryer unit. Have a look:- Kenstar Oxy Fryer vs Philips AirFryer
As far as recipes are concerned, you will need to practice them for some time to get the perfection. However, the day you will learn to cook them, you won’t look back to the deep frying methods.
If you have already mastered the art of cooking in an airfryer, please do share your recipes, tips, and tricks with all of us in the comment section.