When you’re planning to make Dabeli at home, it’s better to prepare the fresh masala in advance. It saves time, and the freshly ground spices bring more flavor to the potato stuffing.
You may buy readymade Dabeli masala packet from local grocery store, but I think the traditional way of making your own masala is quite fun. This, of course, is a personal choice!
Talking about the ingredients, you would notice I have specifically mentioned Kashmiri Red Chilli in the following list. The reason is simple and straight forward.
We don’t need too much of hotness in our recipe. And Dabeli is best enjoyed, when it has all the flavors in equal proportion. So, please refrain from using any other dried red chillies for this masala.
I have also found out another version of Dabeli masala recipe where some people add tamarind paste/pulp into it. It helps in making thick red masala paste, though I don’t know whether we can store it for weeks or months. Hence, I would suggest you to go for dried masala recipe.
Total Time – 10 mins
- Dry Red Kashmiri Chillies – 5-6
- Fennel Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon Stick – 1, medium sized
- Cloves – 4-5
- Green Cardamom – 2 nos., peeled
1. Roast all the dry spices on a pan until you get nice aroma.
2. Take them off the flame and keep aside for the cooling process.
3. Get a grinder and grind the spices into smooth powder.
4. Use this spice powder for Dabeli’s preparation or store it in an air-tight container.