When we talk about Maharashtrian food culture, we just can’t ignore Kanda Bhaji/Onion fritters. Mumbai’s Vada Pav may have gone ahead in popular snack competition in recent decades, but the authentic Kanda Bhaji along with garlic chutney still rules in rural areas of this state.
The Chai-Kanda Bhaji combination is favorite amongst all classes of society. Its simple process, less ingredients and unbeatable taste has kept this snack in demand since centuries, and I’m sure it’ll continue to do so in coming centuries.
It can be consumed in all major meals of the day including evening’s tea time. Sometimes, people also like to have it in breakfast, though it may not be a very healthy option.
Like most of the roadside fast foods, the vendors use baking soda in their recipes. You can completely omit it, when you’re preparing them at home. It tastes equally good without the soda usage.
Let’s see how we can make this recipe –
Total Time – 25 mins
Serves – 3-4 people
- Gram Flour – 2 cups
- Onions – 2, medium sized, peeled & cut into julienne
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon (Optional)
- Oil – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
1. Get a bowl and add the chopped onions into it.
2. Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Mix well and keep the bowl aside for a couple of minutes.
3. Heat oil in a Kadhai/Wok on medium flame.
4. Add gram flour and baking soda in marinated onion mixture.
5. Mix it well and try to bring a thick consistency to your batter.
For nice crispy fritters, you should not add water into the batter. However, if it feels too dry, sprinkle some water accordingly.
6. Check the oil temperature by adding small quantity of batter. If it’s ready, you will get to hear crackling noise from the kadhai.
7. Start dropping the bhaji mixture into the kadhai with the help of spoon or fork.
8. Fry them until golden brown on both the sides.
9. Take them out on oil absorbent papers.
10. Follow the same procedure for next batches of your fritters.
11. Serve them hot with garlic chutney, mint chutney or tomato sauce.