Fortunately, there are quite a few food joints across India, which still serve their special Dal Khichdi to vegetarian food lovers.
If you’ve tried this hotel style variation, you might have noticed the difference in their preparation method. They generally spice it up in order to infuse more flavors in the bland Khichdi taste.
So, how do they really prepare it? Here’s the secret recipe for you –
- Rice – 1 cup
- Moong Dal – 1 cup
- Tomato – 1, medium sized, chopped into small pieces
- Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Dry Red Chilli – 1
- Bayleaf – 1-2 leaves
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
- Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
1. Wash the rice and dal thoroughly and soak for few minutes.
2. Cook both the ingredients together in pressure cooker with excess water.
3. Heat oil in a pan on medium flame.
4. In hot oil, add the cumin seeds and chopped garlic pieces. Let the cumin seeds crackle for some time and wait till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
5. Then, add the dry red chilli, bayleaf and asafoetida in it. Stir well for around 2 minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomato pieces, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt in it. Cook the tomatoes till they become soft and mushy.
Note – You may cook it under the lid for some time.
7. Get the cooked rice and dal mixture and put it inside the tomato masala base.
8. Mix everything nicely and cook further for few minutes or till you get the right consistency for khichdi.
9. Finally, garnish your hotel style Dal Khichdi with chopped coriander.
How to serve Dal Khichdi for lunch?
It should be served with Cucumber Raita or Salad, Roasted Papad and Mango Pickle.
Dal Khichdi Variations
As you know, Dal Khichdi is not something that you eat on regular basis. It’s more of a comfort food, which can be enjoyed if you’re not feeling well.
So, I’m not going to suggest any exotic variations for Dal Khichdi today. The following recipe ideas should help you make it more interesting.
Char Dal ni Khichdi –
This variation is more healthier than regular Dal Khichdi, as we use four different types of lentils in its preparation.
Here’s how you can make Char Dal ni Khichdi at home –
Note: You can get any of your favorite four dals for this recipe. Generally, it is made with Moong Dal, Toor Dal, Masoor Dal and Val (Field Bean) Dal.
- Soak the rice and dals for 15-20 minutes in water.
- In a pressure cooker, ghee-roast the dry spices along with sliced onions.
- Then, add the dals and salt in it and stir well.
- After a couple of minutes, add the soaked rice and water in it and cook well till 3-4 whistles depending on your pressure cooker model.
- Serve it hot with some Pickle.
Tip – If you wish to make this recipe for kids, you can simply remove the spices from it.
Oats Dal Khichdi –
Similar to above recipe variation, you can cook Oats Dal Khichdi with easily available Oats.
For the preparation, you will need to roast the Oats in a dry pan for few minutes.
Once this is done, you should follow the aforementioned recipe style to make this variation of Khichdi at home.
In this Khichdi preparation, you may also use some fresh vegetables. These vegetables will give a nice Pulao-like touch to simple Oats and Dal mixture.
I think there are very few recipes in our food culture that can be made within short period of time and still taste better than some of the street food snacks.
Dal Khichdi with hotel style tadka can definitely give tough competition to lots of such delicacies.
If you follow a busy lifestyle, there is a possibility that you may have to order your meals from hotels or restaurants. These meals are, of course, not going to help your stomach for long time and you might feel sick some day.
Fortunately, Dal Khichdi can solve this issue to some extent. I know it’s not the tastiest dish in the world, but it surely is the best option for your tummy.
Do try it out!