Arrived from the Kutch region of Gujarat, Kacchi Dabeli has won many hearts of regular roadside food lovers in Mumbai. I am also a big fan of this Gujarati snack, as its spicy, tangy and sweet taste just makes you fall in love with it.
Many people prefer enjoying Dabelis on their favorite snack stands, but you can make this recipe at home as well. It is relatively easy snack to prepare as compared to other deep fried fast-foods.
Kacchi Dabeli is served with spicy peanuts and sev, and this is the traditional way of serving a dabeli.
But, things have changed over the period of time. Now, we get to see different varieties of this snack on roadside shops in Mumbai, which include Paneer Dabeli, Cheese Dabeli, Schezwan Dabeli etc. Due to these modern fusion recipes, don’t be surprised if you get spicy mayo dip and schezwan sauce as condiments.
If you like authentic Indian fast food, you should definitely try out the following recipe. For those who don’t, you may add or replace some ingredients as per your need.
Just to give you an example, you can add a couple of tablespoons of Schezwan sauce in your stuffing to make Schezwan dabeli. You can also replace pudina chutney with red chilli chutney in the same recipe.
Total Time – 40 mins
Serves – 4
- Onion – 2, medium sized, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, medium sized, finely chopped
- Potato – 4, medium sized, boiled & mashed
- Dabeli Masala – 2 tablespoon
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Roasted Masala Peanuts – 4 tablespoon
- Pomegranate – 2 tablespoon
- Sev – 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Chutney – 2 tablespoon
- Pudina Chutney – 1 tablespoon
- Red Chilly Chutney – 2 tablespoon
- Pav/Buns – 4
- Coriander Leaves – 1/2 teaspoon, finely chopped
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
For Dabeli Stuffing:
1. Heat butter in a pan on medium flame.
2. When the butter melts down completely, add chopped onions and stir-fry them for few minutes.
3. If the onions have turned translucent, add tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt into it.
4. Saute this onion-tomato base until you get nice masala texture.
5. Now, add the dabeli masala and mashed potatoes.
6. Reduce the flame and mix the stuffing really well. Make sure there are no lumps in it.
7. Take it out of the flame in a tray and spread it evenly.
8. Garnish this potato stuffing with coriander leaves, spicy peanuts, sev and pomegranate seeds in same order.
For Dabeli Preparation:
1. Heat oil/butter in another pan on low flame.
2. Slit the Pav/Buns to make a little pocket.
3. In this pocket, add tamarind chutney, pudina chutney, spicy peanuts, chopped onions and stuffing as per your taste.
4. Press this filling with the help of spoon and add more stuffing if required. Cover all sides with sev,
5. Follow the same procedure for next Pav.
6. Slightly roast these Dabelis on preheated pan and serve them hot.
Tip: Always prepare everything in advance for this recipe. You will save a lot time while serving.