In most of the Indian curries, we use onions as an important base ingredient for flavor and taste. But have you thought of using them as main ingredient for vegetable dish?
For those who don’t know, you can surely make use of onions to prepare the Onion Curry.
If you’re bored with other vegetables, I think you must try out this curry recipe. It’s a great alternative to our Indian veg. curries.
Onion Curry can be prepared in many different ways, but I’m going to share a familiar Punjabi version for you. So, let’s start with the process!
Note – For the following preparation, I’ve used Shallots instead of regular Onions. If you can’t find them in your market, you can use Baby Onions or Onion petals too.
Total Time – 40 minutes
- Onion – 1/2, medium sized, finely chopped
- Tomato – 1, medium sized, peeled & roughly chopped
- Shallots – 6-7 nos., peeled
- Yoghurt – 2-3 tablespoon
- Cashew Nuts – 6-7 pieces
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Kashmiri Red Chilli – 2-3 nos.
- Kasuri Methi – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoon, finely chopped
- Ginger-Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoon
- Oil/Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
For Cashew Paste :
1. In a grinder, get the cashew nuts, peeled tomato pieces, yoghurt and Kashmiri red chillies.
2. Blend these ingredients to a very fine paste.
3. Sieve the paste so that we get the perfect texture to curry.
For Curry Preparation :
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan or kadai on medium flame.
2. Add the ginger-garlic paste in it and fry till the raw smell goes away.
3. Add the finely chopped onions and salt in it. Stir-fry till onions turn translucent.
4. Add the turmeric powder and red chilli powder in this mixture. Stir-fry again for a couple of minutes.
5. Once oil starts leaving the edges, add the cashew-tomato paste and mix well. Put the lid on and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Now, add the shallots and garam masala powder, and coat them with the masala. Pour some water and cook it further under the lid.
7. Once the shallots are cooked, add the crushed Kasuri Methi leaves and mix well. Cook for another couple of minutes.
8. In the end, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
As per your choice, you can serve this delicious Onion Curry along with any Indian breads. It goes well with hot Chapati, Tandoori Roti as well as Butter Naan.
Variations for Punjabi Onion Curry
There are numerous way through which you can twist this recipe for your taste. Here are a couple of suggestions from my side –
Make Your Own Vegetable Curry –
Yes, pretty much in Pizza style!
Simply chop some veggies and put them in the pot to cook along with other ingredients. In next few minutes, you will be able to enjoy your style of curry.
For this type of curry, you should always select vegetables that are generally used in mix vegetable or Pav Bhaji dishes. These vegetables taste great with cashew paste based curries.
Kofta with Onion Curry –
How about trying Koftas in Onion Curry?
If you’ve made some excess veg. Koftas (or Chicken Tikka Kebabs for Non Vegetarians), add them in this curry. It will help enhance the overall taste of your curry.
#Tip – Just like any other Kofta curry, always put the koftas at the end of cooking process. If you add them in between, they might break and dissolve in the gravy itself.
So, please make sure that you follow this tip while making such curry.
French Fries with Onion Curry (For Bachelors) –
When you’re a bachelor or living alone, you don’t feel like making a wholesome meal for lunch or dinner.
In order to make things more interesting, I think you should certainly try adding McDonald’s french fries in your desi style onion curry. It might sound weird at this moment, but you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the results.
For this variation, you should also follow the tip suggested above for Kofta curry.
Many people believe that Indian curry is one of the difficult things to make in home kitchen. Well, it may be true for some traditional curries, but not for simple Punjabi Onion Curry.
If you know how to play with spices and stir-frying method, no one can stop you from cooking this spicy vegetable dish. And once you get hold of it, you can prepare it in just 15-20 minutes as well. It’s worth keeping in your list of time-saving dishes.
Apart from this, you can transform this curry in many ways. I’ve talked about its variations in this post, but there is no limit for creativity.
Just think about it for some time, and I’m sure you’ll come up with more ideas to twist it further.
Want some hints? Here’re some ingredients that may blend nicely with this preparation –
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes with Black Olives
- Smoked Bell Peppers
- Dried Prawns
Over to you –
Do you make Onion Curry at home? Tell us your way of preparation in the comments below.