Whenever there is a rice or oil related commercial on TV, you’ll notice that they often display White Pulao along with several other dishes.
Well, the color combination of rice and vegetables looks so fresh and beautiful that you just can’t resist the temptation. You gotta have this Pulao in such advertisements. It’s almost a norm in ads world these days!
Coming back to the kitchen, White Pulao or sometimes known as Plain Pulao is a complete vegetarian dish. However, you may also prepare it with Non-Veg. food items as per your taste.
This pulao can be made in two simple ways i.e. cooking rice and vegetable together (pressure cooker style) or cooking them separately in different pans (fried rice style).
I’d suggest you to try making the White Pulao recipe in fried rice style, as it gives you the same results that you’d get to see in photos and advertisements. But, if you don’t have enough time to cook, you can simply use the alternate method.
Alright now, let’s take a look at the recipe of tasty White Pulao.
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- Green Peas – 1/2 cup
- Carrot – 1 nos., medium sized, cut into small cubes
- French Beans – 4-5 nos., chopped into small pieces
- Red Capsicum – 1 nos., small sized, chopped into pieces
- Yellow Capsicum – 1 nos., small sized, chopped into pieces
- Cashew Nuts – 4-5 nos., sliced into halves
- Star Anise – 1 nos.
- Black Cardamom – 1 nos.
- Cinnamon Sticks – 1 piece
- Green Chillies – 2 nos., Chopped
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Kewda Water – 2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan on medium flame.
2. Wait till the oil turns hot. Now, put the dry spices into it and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Reduce the flame and add the green chillies, cashew nuts and salt in it. Stir-fry it again for another two minutes.
4. Add the chopped vegetables in the pan and turn up the heat. Let the veggies cook for around 10 minutes without placing the lid on it.
Note – If you place the lid, some veggies might lose their natural colors during the cooking process. So, it’s better to cook them without any cover on the top.
5. Meanwhile, boil the Basmati rice in another pot with some salt and water.
Note – Similar to Dum Biryani preparation style, don’t cook this rice till the end. Keep it little undercooked so that we can continue the cooking process in our next step.
7. Now, transfer the rice to vegetables’ pan and mix it gently with fork.
8. Sprinkle handful of drinking water along with spoonful of Kewda water on top of your White Pulao. Put the lid on for around 5 minutes and lower down the flame.
9. After the time has elapsed, serve it immediately with your favorite accompaniments.
In case you’re not sure about the accompaniments, it tastes great with simple Dahi Raita, Papad, Mango Pickle and basic cucumber salad. And if you wish to offer something more crunchy with it, you can even serve deep-fried or air-fried hot Pakodas.
Important Tips for White Pulao Preparation
Read the following tips to get perfect results.
Don’t overcook the veggies –
Like I said before, the overcooked veggies look dull in your final presentation. So, cook them at optimum consistency, and you’ll get the picture-perfect White Pulao.
Don’t fry the spices for too long –
Even though spices impart great flavors in Pulao, you should never fry them for long time. They might change the taste and color of your dish.
Colored veggies –
Use colorful vegetables like red-yellow capsicums and sweet corns to get the refreshing look. Otherwise, this Pulao looks bland and needs gravy dishes as accompaniments.
Variations for White Pulao
Do you want to play more with it? Check out the following suggestions.
1. Non-Vegetarian Version with Prawns –
Yes, you can prepare White Pulao with fresh prawns as well as chicken pieces.
Talking about the Prawns, you should marinate them in curd and dry spice mixture to get the flavors in place. You may also add some saffron strands in it.
The saffron based rice gives absolutely amazing color to the Pulao and also complements the marinated prawns. However, if you want white colored Pulao, please avoid using this rich spice.
If you like to use vegetables in this type of Pulao, add some chopped capsicum pieces or green peas. And don’t forget to garnish it with fried onions, chopped ginger juliennes and coriander leaves.
2. BBQ Veggies and Paneer Pulao –
Like Barbecue food? Then, how about a BBQ Pulao for dinner?
Here’s a quick recipe for you :
- Cook the Basmati rice along with some traditional dry spices.
- Prepare the marinade and put all your veggies & Paneer cubes in it. Let them rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Now, fire the barbecue and start the preparation.
- Once you’re done with it, spread them across the cooked rice.
- Garnish the BBQ Pulao with fresh mint leaves and coriander leaves.
When you think of making Pulao on special occasions, there is only one thing that strikes your mind i.e. lots of preparation time.
Thankfully, Indian chefs have already invented the White Pulao for people who don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. You can quickly prepare this wholesome dish in half an hour and serve along with other side dishes.
This is the reason why I always love simple Indian delicacies!
If you’re a bachelor and looking to impress your friends or roommates, I’d certainly recommend you to make this dish for them. It’ll surely win their hearts.
So, go ahead and do the wonders in your kitchen!
Over To You –
What’s your style of making the White Vegetable Pulao? Do you cook everything together?
Share your cooking methods and techniques below.